artsNK are working with The National Centre for Craft and Design to co-curate an exhibition focusing on the history of circus, as part of the UK wide Circus250 event, celebrating 250 years of circus! Out ‘Circus250’ exhibition and accompanying performance and activity programme will take place at The National Centre for Craft and Design between April – July 2018. We are currently seeking collaborators, content, ideas, and exhibits of archive information related to circus for the event.
We are seeking collaborators who are passionate about the story of circus. The programme/events need to link artNK’s existing programme (contemporary aerial arts) and our wider arts development plan for the year; which includes feeding into an outdoor festival in Sleaford later in the year. We’re looking to create a fully immersive experience in the gallery space; something that recreates that “magic” felt when entering a circus bigtop.
We are seeking:
- Content around the “craft” of circus or “design” of costumes, circus structures, creation of work – we’re open to format eg artist talks, artefacts, blueprints, presentations, drapes etc
- Expressions of interest from circus artist(s)/companies who could be in residence in the exhibition space (the space is fully riggable)
- Links to our existing aerial participation programme – potential for opportunities for our community of aerialists and dancers to take part in workshops/classes/ masterclasses
- Heritage link; history and development of circus, the circus250 story and links to local circus in Lincolnshire
- Links to other circus250 events happening locally – currently there is an equine event planned at Lincoln Castle and various touring companies presenting circus programmed at theatre venues
We are open to discussion, ideas and possibilities. If you’d like to discuss this opportunity further, please email Amy Dalton-Hardy on email@example.com